You will need to file Form 2441 with your return. The child care expense must be to allow you to work or seek work and you will need the name, address, and EIN or SSN of the provider and the address of where the services are provided to complete Form 2441. You should also keep records of the payments that you make to the provider and the period of time covered by each payment.
Articles in this section
- My son is four and goes to pre-K and a private school. Children are required to go to school at age five for kindergarten. Can I write off the tuition I pay the school for pre-K as a child care expense?
- What do I need to do to claim the child and dependent care credit for my daughter in day care?
- Can a noncustodial parent claim the child tax credit?
- What is the American Opportunity Tax Credit for higher education expenses?
- What is the Credit for Other Dependents?