Income: wages, interest, retirement, sale of property, etc.
Earnings From Self-Employment or Business
- Can I report as "Other Income" the $6,000 I made from providing day care services?
- What is the standard mileage deduction for the use of a vehicle in a business?
- Can I take a business deduction for the small cash donations my business makes to various qualified charities in the neighborhood? I am a sole proprietor.
- Will my self-employment income affect the amount of income I receive as Social Security benefits?
Sale of Home and Other Assets
- How does selling your home for a profit affect the income you report and your tax liability?
- I am married and our house when sold will net about $400,000 in profit. We have lived here for 30 years. If I die before the house is sold, does my spouse lose the $250,000 exemption for me?
- If I sell shares in a mutual fund and reinvest the proceeds in another fund from the same fund family, do I have to pay tax on any gain?
- Last year I had some capital losses that exceeded the $3,000 maximum allowed. How do I get to use the remaining losses?
- I invested in a company, and now all my shares are worthless. Can I carry the loss forward to coming years, or must I claim the loss this year?
- Are Roth IRA conversions taxable?
- I received a lump-sum Social Security benefit covering several prior years. How do I report that on my tax return?
- I started receiving Social Security this year - will it be taxable?
- Are my company pension benefits taxable?
- Can you withdraw funds from a pension before age 59½ and avoid the early withdrawal penalty?
- Are there any tax consequences if you roll over your 401(k) into an IRA?
All Other Income
- Do you pay tax yearly on the interest on CDs or when the CDs are cashed?
- What is the difference between "ordinary dividends" and "qualified dividends"? My 1099 dividend statements were marked by the companies as both.
- Do I pay taxes on child support?
- Are alimony payments taxable?
- I received an academic scholarship. Is this taxable?