If you have a balance due you will probably have a failure-to-file and a failure-to-pay-on-time penalty plus interest. There are no penalties if you are due a refund. However, you have only three years from the due date of the return to file and claim a refund. Prior year forms and instructions are available here.
Articles in this section
- I have not yet filed my last year's taxes. How much trouble am I in?
- I haven't filed tax returns for the last three years. What should I do?
- Is it possible for someone to be exempt from filing a tax return?
- I am a full-time college student. My parents claim me as an exemption. I work part time for the college. Do I have to file a tax return?
- My brother died this year and I am filing his tax return. He is due a refund. How do I file his return and obtain the refund?