Submit a request


My husband owes back child support payments to his former spouse and has been notified by the Treasury Department that he is subject to the offset program. We file jointly. How do we get the IRS to not seize my refund?

In order to ensure that the IRS does not seize your share of any refund on a joint return, you need to complete IRS Form 8379, Injured Spouse Claim and Allocation, and attach it to your tax return. The form allows you to compute how much of any refund belongs to you, the injured spouse, and frees that amount for a refund.