Submit a request


I attend college full time, work, and live with my father. Should my father claim me as a dependent?

Your father should claim you as his dependent if you meet all of the criteria to be his qualifying child:  you are a full-time student under age 24, you live with him for more than six months (which includes time living at college) and you are not self-supporting. You would be self-supporting if you provided more than half of your own total support. Total support includes the fair market value of any lodging provided to you, utilities, repairs to the household, food, clothing, education, medical, dental, travel and recreation expenses. If you are self-supporting, then your father may not claim you as a dependent.