Submit a request


I am a full-time college student. My parents claim me as an exemption. I work part time for the college. Do I have to file a tax return?

Whether or not you have to file will depend upon whether your earned and/or unearned income exceeds certain limits. See the two sections in IRS Pub 501 called "Self-employed Persons" and "Dependents." You can also use the IRS Interactive Tax Assistant to determine if you have a filing requirement.

Even if you find that filing a return is not required, you should file a federal income tax return to obtain a refund of any income tax withheld from your pay.